Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving.... What is it to me?

I don't follow holidays as many others do. I don't succumb to tradition or to the "rules" which apply to a hallowed day.  Holidays, for me, are just another day to work and play. Another day to live and survive.

I find that holidays tend to be very hypocritical. A day in which a reason is had for people to get together with friends and family they may not see on any other day. A day to socialize with those in which you don't remember or don't care to remember the next day.... 
Holidays have also become very glamourized and commercialized. People stray from a holiday's true meaning and use it to skip another day of work and be gluttons and drink in excess. Is this wrong, I am not saying it is wrong or right, all I am saying is that people will use a holiday to better suit themselves and forget exactly why the day is celebrated.

I don't need a holiday to spend quality time with people I care about. Nor do I need a holiday to celebrate life, in all forms. For me, everyday should be a day to give thanks to that which makes you happy and complete. Thanks for good health and the health of your friends and loved ones.

Today is a day which has me in very mixed emotions.... I am truly thankful for waking this morning in good health and strength of body, soul and mind. I am thankful for being able to go into work and walking the dogs which are stuck in kennels for the holiday. Making them happy for a little while and allowing them a bit of freedom from their cages. 
I am very thankful that my own boys have health and vitality and such a verve for life. I am thankful that they never are in need of anything and want nothing.

What I am not thankful for is all of the turkeys (roughly 42 million) which were abused, tortured then slaughtered just to satisfy the palates of the millions of americans who gluttonously ate of these magnificent birds. 
I read in bewilderment how george bush pardoned a turkey. Pardoned a turkey for what! This bird committed no crime! He never threatened a life nor did she ever break a law! Yet, for amusement and celebrity, the president pardoned a turkey for no other reason than to humor a nation which has been led by fear....

Well.... I've ranted and I've raved, this is just my two cents worth. You can collect your change at the door, thank you!

1 comment:

Robot Nine said...

Thanks for visiting Robot Nine, hope you like the images. Nice lineup of fine dogs and cats there!!