Thursday, December 25, 2008

Who Do I Think I Am....

I watched The Breakfast Club this morning (it's a blizzard outside... me and the boys will be curled up on the lounges today) and in the beginning, principle Vernon asks the "misfits" to write an essay about who they think they are. In the end, the "nerd" writes for all of them and states... "We accept the fact that we had to sacrifice a whole Saturday in detention for whatever it was we did wrong. But we think you're crazy to make us write an essay telling you who we think we are. You see us as you want to see us... In the simplest terms, in the most convenient definitions."

Those words... that line, i could not have said it better myself! For in today's society it does not matter who we think we are because people will judge us how THEY see fit. It matters not how we choose to live our lives or if we are compassionate or apathetic. If we are moral or amoral. We are judged by our look, status and affluence (or lack there of).

Society grants someone rights if she/he fits a mold or perception. It matters not if integrity plays a vital role in forming that person. It matters not if that person is golden from within... just as long as he/she is appealing from the outside. What can you really learn from a person if you base him/her by their outward appearance? What does it say about a person who will follow a trend or rules just to fit in?


Who is Dino?

Many colors define me as a whole...
Passion and compassion engulf my soul...
This drum of mine has a unique sound...
I dance with wild abandon for freedom I have found...
Deep is my ocean yet my waters are calm and clear...
I walk with head held high for there is nothing I fear...
I am taller than the mightiest redwood, odd as this may sound...
For my head reaches the clouds above yet my feet never leave the ground...

2 comments:

Robot Nine said...

Hey, was hoping you get a chance to come to Robot Nine and play the Picture Puzzle today.

http://robotnine.blogspot.com/2008/12/robot-nine-picture-puzzle-can-you.html

Alan

Chris said...

I know I'm a bit late in commenting on this post...

Nicely written though. What a great movie, and yep, great line from it. Sadly, most often people are judged based on looks and whatever associations others have with those looks. I find that I get a tremendous amount of joy when I connect with someone that, appearance-wise, doesn't fit with my normal "crowd".

We all put up walls, we protect ourselves from the unknown. But when we let them down and relate to people on a human level, putting aside class, race, and anything else we can find to separate us from others, that is the magic of life. Because beneath it all, we are all exactly the same.